CUSTOMISED RESEARCH SERVICES
AntalGenics provides customised R&D services by designing and developing projects according to the client’s needs. We offer the technology and knowledge for both the execution of competitive projects and generating intellectual property rights within the cosmeceutical and pharmaceutical world.
We commit ourselves to develop high quality products and to guarantee their efficacy by providing a well-characterized molecular mechanism of action, validated with specific state-of-the-art techniques for each project.
We offer three interconnected platforms to meet the requirements of the entire product development process. These scientific platforms allow us a full development capacity to deliver high quality active ingredients within the cosmeceutical and pharmaceutical field.
SENSORY NEUROBIOLOGY PLATFORM
We have more than 15 years of experience in sensory neurobiology, studying peripheral mechanisms and chronic pain. Peripheral neurons detect external stimuli in the skin and transfer environmental information to the brain. These neurons are implicated in altered conditions like atopic dermatitis, chronic itch or rosacea. All this makes the cutaneous nervous system a fundamental target for the development of innovative molecules to treat these syndromes.
We use the state-of-the-art monitoring systems like:
- Multielectrode Array System (MEA System) to study neuronal populations.
- Patch clamp to characterise individual cells.
- Imaging and monitoring systems in living cells though different cellular processes like ion flux or neuroexocytosis.
Our sensory neurobiology platform employs both complex skin models and simplified neuronal models. This allows us to explore the efficacy of candidate compounds in different neuronal contexts, altered or physiological, that may occur in the skin, and give us an insight on:
- Neuronal excitability: The measurement of responses to physical and chemical stimuli in neuronal models.
- Neuronal sensitivity: The induction of a sensitised state in neuronal models to study different skin conditions with an inflammatory component, and to evaluate the chemical and pollutant sensitization.
- Skin-Neuron interaction: To explore the communication between neurons and skin cells on co-cultures from sensory neurons and different cells of the skin.
- Neurotoxicity: To explore the effects of new active ingredients on cellular viability on neurons to evaluate their cytotoxicity.
At AntalGenics we study the skin as a complex system composed of the epithelial-immune system-sensory neurons tissues. Our models enable us to explore the effect in the entire human skin and to design customised molecules.
MOLECULAR MODELLING PLATFORM
The molecular modelling platform consists of computational design methods to obtain molecular structures by comparison with known molecules.
Our computational analysis include:
- Homology modelling
- Molecular docking
- Molecular dynamics
- Protein design
- Virtual screening
- Protein-protein interaction
- Chemical libraries
These structural models can be used to do virtual screening using virtual chemical libraries, to modify proteins by computational design, to determine protein-protein interactions, to identify and design new active compounds.
Our computational analysis allows us to virtually screen and validate candidate compounds, and to redesign them in order to improve their properties. Once optimised, we select the best compounds to be tested in vitro.
We are specialised in the evaluation of different aspects of the screening planning, validation of targets, drug discovery, design and automation of tests.
HIGH THROUGHPUT SCREENING PLATFORM
Our extensive experience in the automation of techniques for high throughput screening, in combination with our state-of-the-art technologies, allow us to test efficiently thousands of compounds. For this purpose, we have different units dedicated to the evaluation of the functional activity of molecules that include the following functional tests:
- Molecular Biology – Gene expression characterization
- Enzyme assays – Phosphodiesterase, kinases, and phosphatase assays.
- Immunological assays – Immunofluorescence studies and ELISA.
- Cellular assay – Functional validation in primary cultures and cell lines.
- Cellular toxicity assay in relevant cellular context.
Concerning the pharmaceutical characterization, we are specialised on the functional study of ion channels implicated in pain and sensory neurobiology, like TRPs and cannabionoid receptors, among others. To carry this activity out we use high throughput screening methods:
Multimodal microplate reader and IonFlux for automatised electrophysiological characterization.
IN cell to visualise and study living cells.
The combination of high throughput techniques with computational screening provides new and innovative research methodology in both cosmeceutical and pharmaceutical industry.